Illegal drug use can dramatically impact a company’s bottom line. It can affect employee performance and absenteeism, medical costs, and theft. Additionally, customer perceptions may be negatively impacted. One search by SVK9 costs a fraction of what it would cost a business – in both time and money- to rebound from lost productivity, a ruined reputation, and a public relations nightmare.
An SVK9 search is the optimal choice in discretion. We are not affiliated with local law enforcement or any other government agencies. You can avoid embarrassing law enforcement investigations and subsequent legal expenses which would certainly tarnish your company’s reputation.
SVK9 can provide a single drug sweep to your facility, or we can create a customized ongoing program to maintain a drug-free workplace. If contraband is detected, the handler will identify the specific location. Your management team makes decisions on how to handle the findings in compliance with your company policy.
The SVK9 handler-dog team will work with your business to perform a search of your building, including the following areas:
- Employee lockers
- Offices, Desks & Cubicles
- Parking lots
- Grounds/surrounding area
What to Expect for a Commercial Search
Prior to arrival at your business we call you to help devise a plan of action upon our arrival and discuss the following:
- The best time to arrive. The type of business usually dictates the best time to do the search. Some companies prefer that the K9 team arrive during business hours so that employees can see the search taking place (reinforcing company policy). Some businesses prefer to take a more discrete approach and have the search conducted when the business is closed.
- Handler’s attire. We will cater to the needs of your business and situation. Handlers can arrive in uniform or in plain street clothes.
- Should employees be notified? It is recommended that your company have a policy stating that drug searches may be performed on the business premises. It is not recommended that employees be notified prior to a search.
- Determining search areas. SVK9 will work with your management team to determine the areas that need to be searched and the frequency of our visits. The scale of the search dictates the time involved and the cost of the search. For very large businesses additional K9 teams may be used.
Upon arrival the handler will meet your designated contact person and will be led on a preliminary tour of the search areas, leaving the canine in the vehicle. After the tour, the handler will discuss the plan of action, answer any questions and have you sign the SVK9 standard agreement before the search begins.
The search. We require your representative accompany the K9 team throughout the search. If there is more than one K9 team, we require that you provide an observer for each team. The handler will lead the dog through each room in a designated pattern paying attention to subtle signs that the dog is trained to display. The handler will mark all areas of dog indications. This gives you the specific location where you can look for drugs or evidence of drugs once the search of all areas is complete. If requested, the handler will then observe the search for narcotics by the company representative. The handler will give general guidance to the representative of how and where to look but will not actually do the search. Keep in mind, the dog’s nose is so sensitive it may alert on residue of where drugs may have been previously stored, but the drugs may not be present at the time of the search.
If substances are found and there is doubt that they are illegal narcotics, at your request, we can use a field test kit to confirm the substances is actually an illegal narcotic. The drug identification confirmation is $50 per test. If narcotics are found, it is the responsibility of the Business Owner or Manager to dispose of the narcotics. SVK9 personnel are strictly prohibited from removing any narcotics. We can provide you disposal recommendations. If you would like a written report we will provide one within three business days of the search. The cost of the report starts at $75.